Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It takes work

Being healthy is something that one has to work at. It will not spontaneously happen by:
  • watching sports
  • watching an exercise video
  • passing by a health club
  • shuttling children from one event to another
or
  • having a child to run after
That last point is one that I want to focus on. A few weeks ago someone made the comment that all you have to do to lose weight is run after a child. Sorry, but that is far from the truth. If that is the case then we would be a nation/world of individuals with kids that are extremely healthy and those of without kids just the opposite. In reality, that's just not the case.

Folks with and without children struggle with being healthy. In fact, I think many of the women (yes, I'm generalizing) that struggle with weight loss due so after pregnancy (and do so for years). Therefore, the notion that having a child will help one be healthy doesn't equate for me. Yes, it can serve as motivation in that you want to be as healthy as you can for your child's sake, but simply having a child to run after will not do it.

It takes work. For all. It also takes sacrifice. Trying to get healthy is a mindset that doesn't come easy and people struggle with it for years. There's nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I dislike it when individuals belittle one's attempt to be healthy in whatever manner they pursue. To me, that person is not providing the positive support that is needed, and possibly (just my thought) they are struggling themselves and see an opportunity to attack.

I do hope I'm never perceived as such. I work each and every day to try to be as healthy as I can. I try to encourage family and friends to do the same. I also recognize that we all have to do it in our way because my way may not work for you and that is perfectly fine. The goal is to be healthy. It matters not how you attain that goal. Work at it the best way for you.

2 comments:

Fat[free]Me said...

yeah, no child can run that fast, lol!

Foodie McBody said...

These made me laugh:

# watching an exercise video
# passing by a health club

because I just *watched* Jillian Michaels' 30 minute shred on TV, fast-forwarding bc I wanted to check it out. I burned about 3 calories with my thumb on the remote. Ha!