Sunday, September 19, 2010

No Comparison

The walking/running I do is a means of staying healthy for me. Personally, I'm not trying to win a 5K, 10K, or any other race. Therefore, I don't compare myself to what others do. I'm not interested in competing with what others are doing. Leading a healthy lifestyle is my aim.

I only make one comparison, to an earlier, unhealthier me.

I think about what I couldn't do in 2002:
  • walk a mile
  • run a mile
  • walk up 5 flights of stairs without stopping
  • complete a 5K
  • complete a 10K
  • spend 40 min on the stairmaster
  • zero push-ups
To what I can do in 2010:
  • walk a mile
  • run a mile
  • walk up 5+ flights of stairs without stopping
  • 5K done
  • 10K done
  • 40+ min on the stairmaster
  • 10 push-ups (though I don't like doing them!)
  • and many other things....
Overall, I'm really happy with what I have accomplished and what I continue to do regarding leading a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, I don't need to compare myself to others. I know what I did and I'm doing is working. That is all that matters.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

At the end of the day that's all that really matters, isn't it? Great post!

Shanika@LifeisPichey said...

I think a lot of times people are competing with themselves. I know I do. As long as you can see an improvement in what you can do compare to before, then that's all that matters. Push ups are no one's friend but they make the arms look great!!

Tony said...

The gains that result from Commitment and Effort are very rewarding. Great job on all the hard work to get to where are are today.

Healthy Heather said...

You're so right - your only competition is what you know you're capable of. I love the year to year comparison; you're tracking the right stuff! :)

ernise said...

Thanks all! The journey to healthy and remaining healthy is all about me. I'm committed and focused on maintaining my healthiness.

Anonymous said...

It is all about you and no one else.... I have to remind myself that daily.

Great Post!