Saturday, April 3, 2010

CCC 10K Recap

I was a participant in the Crescent City (New Orleans) Classic 10K this morning. This was my 2nd 10K this year and my pace today was slower than the first one. No matter, it was the completion that was most important! Right? :~) Of course!

From Healthy Every Day


I completed this race the same as the other one. My plan was to do this one the same way as the last:

run 3 km
walk 1 km
run 3 km
walk 1 km
run 2 km

It didn't quite workout like that due to the sheer number of people. From where I was in the pack, it took me 6 min. to get to the actual starting line. Once there, I really couldn't get a good running pace until well into the 2nd km. I probably should have just walked the 1st km. There was a lot of people and a lot of walkers. Nothing wrong with walking, but it was extremely hard to maneuver around them at times. I walk as well, but I move to the outer portions of the street so as not to be in the way.

The first time I did a 10K was the Peachtree (Atlanta) Road Race. One good thing about the Peachtree is they encourage the walkers to stay to one side of the roadway. The Crescent City organizers should do the same.

I think the slow start really prevented from keeping a good pace. The other 10K I did, in February, wasn't quite as crowded and it thinned out pretty fast.

Overall, I'm still excited about the finish! I mean, that is what it is all about! Finishing what I start and I did it!

No comments: