Monday, July 20, 2009

Workout time

I have been a morning workout person for the past 6 years. Basically the entire time that I have been an active person, I've worked out in the AM. I wondering if I need to make a change.

I used to be energized when I worked out in the AM. I would energy all day long. I was focused and ready to take on any task. Lately, not so much. Over the past few weeks, I've noticed my energy waning mid-day and it is hard to get it back. I just want to take a nap.

I wonder if I'm not getting enough sleep. Generally, I am in bed between 9 and 9:30 pm. I must be in bed no later than 9:30 pm if I am going to the gym the next morning. My clock alarms between 4:15 and 4:30 am, depending on what I want to do at the gym. That gives me, roughly, 7 hours of sleep. I generally get the full 7 hours as I am one of those persons that fall asleep immediately.

Today has been a struggle. Perhaps I should adjust my workout, a few days a week, to the afternoon. That's what I'm thinking about trying this week. If I go to bed tonight, like normal, and sleep in until 6 am, perhaps I'll feel better tomorrow. I can go to the gym in the afternoon or perhaps a long walk (if it is not raining).

I worry about that plan because I have an aversion to working out after work. I can come up with all sorts of excuses as to other things that should take precedence. When in actuality, there is nothing that needs to take precedence. I should take precedence. This is for my health and well-being.

Even as I write this I'm doubting I'll make the change this week. I think I should just go in the AM, like I'm used to going.

2 comments:

Becky Fyfe said...

It might not be your workouts tiring you. Are you getting enough protein for breakfast/lunch?

ernise said...

Hmmmmmm...you may have a point. Breakfast is oatmeal w/fiber one sprinkled with 2 tbsp protein powder.

Lunch will vary from salad w/ 3 oz. chicken to a frozen dinner (w/ or w/o meat). I'll have a veggie with it and fruit.

The tiredness comes in the afternoon, when it does come.