Tuesday, July 21, 2009

This is why

Folks have commented, in many places (especially on Fb), about the amount of exercise that I get in. Well, I have a specific reason for exercising and eating healthy. In a sense, it can be answered with two medical conditions that are related.

STROKE

A total of 3 persons on my maternal side have suffered the effects of stroke. Two of them were fatal at the onset and one lived (if you can call it that) for 6 years. Each of them didn’t follow through on what they were supposed to do to maintain their health. That is, take medication properly to combat high blood pressure.

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Personally, I refuse to become a statistic. I refuse to be among the great number of persons in the black community taking high blood pressure medication to maintain my life.

I refuse.

Therefore, I exercise. I eat healthy. I am doing my part in maintaining a healthy lifestyle so that I don’t have to a drug each and every day.

I inform my Fb family of my daily exercise with the hopes of influencing one person to get active.

To move.

To get active.

To want to be healthy.

I have no desire to make someone feel bad about what they are not doing. Quite the contrary. My aim is to subliminally influence people to move. Make the effort. Bury the excuses. Think about your health. Think about your family. Think about your spouse/significant other, children, parents, siblings, friends, colleagues, etc.

It doesn’t have to be what I do. I didn’t start out going to the gym 5 days per week. I started by taking a pilates class twice a week. From there, it increased over time. It was not an overnight process. But the process has changed my life.

I feel better. Plain and simple.

The easiest, simplest thing one can do is go for a walk. So many people sleep on the benefits of walking. It is the one exercise that doesn’t’ require a gym membership. A good pair of tennis shoes, and be on your way. Start small. 5 min. 10 min. 15 min. Just move.

I can’t say that not leading a healthy lifestyle caused my family members to suffer a stroke. I do wonder, however, if they had led a healthy lifestyle could things have been different.

4 comments:

Fat[free]Me said...

Great post and so true. Keeping active will certainly reduce the risks and knowing we are trying is a weight off our minds in itself.

I love that you are showing family members by example, tough if they feel bad, that is their problem not yours.

Keep up the good work!

Hilary said...

I think it is great that you are taking active measures to combat health risks that may run in your family. The way you have taken charge really impresses me!

AllThingsTiff said...

This is perfect and makes perfect sense. I needed to read this to help be a motivator for myself.

ernise said...

Glad to be of service!