Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Portion control

I've learned that I must control for portion in order for me to be successful at weight loss. When I initially lost those 60 pounds from 2005-07, I was very strict on portions. I utilized a food scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons for everything. Measuring has become second nature for me. I don't use the food scale anymore, but I do use the cups & spoons.

In fact, I have some at my office. I use the measuring spoon to measure 1 T of sugar for my coffee. I find that I will put too much sugar if it is not measured out.

The measuring cup is for my cereal. I believe in only eating one serving so I measure it out. If I just pour into the bowl, I'll end up with 1-1/2 or 2 servings. Too much! I bring my milk from home each day and I only bring 3/4 cup. Therefore, I need only 1 serving of cereal.

I also purchase those single serve containers of coffee cream. Yes, those things cost more money, but it costs less on my caloric intake. Some may say, I can't believe she drinks coffee! Yes, I do, each and every day. It is likely the one thing I will never give up (unless there's some dire health need to do so). I limit myself to no more than 2 cups, most days it is only 1 though and I control the sugar and cream. I have the mini-moo's at work, but on the weekends I measure out the liquid cream with a measuring spoon. I'm consistent, if not anything else.

Some people may say, oh that's too extreme! All that measuring and what not. Fine, it doesn't work for you, but it works for me. That, too me, is key. Finding what works for the individual.

I've found mine, measuring. What's yours?

No comments: